Challenges Of Growing Up Gay
A series of recent suicides by gay kids has us looking at the challenges of growing up gay. Several hundred people attended a candlelight vigil in front of the Massachusetts State House on October 5 — a memorial for the recent spate of suicides.
Young people from Massachusetts describe their experiences growing up in a state where gay-straight organizations at school are often encouraged. But many of them see the larger culture supporting the harassment of gay teens.
- Ann Coleman, board member of Join the Impact MA
- Keegan O’Brien, UMASS Boston student, and member of the school’s Equality Coalition
- Daunasia Yancey, recent high school graduate, and member of the Boston Alliance of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Youth
Host Meghna Chakrabarti introduces us to newsmakers, big thinkers and artists and brings us stories of relevance to Bostonians here and around the region. Live every weekday at 3 p.m. and 10 p.m.
- Listen: Weekdays, 3 p.m. on 90.9 FM
- Live Call-In: (800) 423-TALK
- Listener Voicemail: (617) 358-0607